A communications group within the IPA has elaborated a set of key messages, covering six areas of main interest to the PGM industry:
Role and benefits of PGMs in everyday life
- PGMs are surrounding us every day in a great variety of applications that are all meant to improve lives.
- PGMs are precious and noble "high-tech" metals which in their applications enhance the environment and quality of life.
PGM industry – an innovative sector
- The mining and fabrication of PGMs is a highly innovative sector and the source of many cutting-edge technologies.
- The PGM resource base is extensive and the industry has a proven track record in its understanding of the market demand.
- Growing demand for PGMs stems from their increasingly diverse uses and enabling role in new technologies.
- Due to the steady growing demand in PGMs the industry is attractive to skilled workers and offers great career opportunities.
Social aspects of mining and fabrication / corporate social responsibility
- The PGM industry is contributing to the income of the countries in which it operates.
- The PGM industry works closely with local communities to increase their standard of living and to provide a sustainable local economy.
- The industry pays particularly attention to the health, safety, and education of its workforce.
South Africa: Black Economic Empowerment and beneficiation
- The South African PGM producers are committed to fulfilling their obligations regarding Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) and metal beneficiation.
PGMs and the environment
- PGM based products contribute to technologies that help to reduce environmental damages.
- The PGM industry itself is implementing programmes to minimize the impact of their operations on the environment.
PGM in the life-cycle / recycling
- The energy efficiency of PGMs reduces waste of resources.
- The high recyclability of PGMs means less impact on the environment in comparison to other materials which may be discarded or be less easy to recycle.
- The PGM industry routinely recycles PGMs from their applications.